Sunday, December 16, 2012

Of Hobbits and Dwarves....

I went to see the Hobbit movie over the weekend.  It was a good movie, and it is recommended to go to see.  I will warn you, if you're looking for the wow factor of the LOTR movies, you won't get it here.  You've seen all of this before.  Nothing super new in special effects.

The effects are cleaner, crisper, nicer looking.  When you saw LOTR, the wow factor came in the massive sets, the special effects were awesome and new, etc. etc.  The Hobbit didn't really have new stuff.  But then that's ok.  it didn't need it.  Pete Jackson didn't succumb to the Lucas effect by updating special effects for a prequel.  Doing that makes the older movie look like crap compared to the new one.   Yea, lookin at you Episode 1, 2 and 3...

But anyway, The Hobbit is a great film, it's broken into three parts, so you don't see the whole story.  There is a lot of back-story  and stuff that's not in the books.  I only know that because someone told me, since I've never read the book.  I know..  blasphemy...

The Dwarves song was cool, but we saw and heard it in it's entirety during the trailer that came out a while ago.  That sucks really.  I'm hoping for that extended cut that has the full song, not just one verse and a chorus line.  No, I don't mean the dwarves were dancing.  the sang is meant to be a somber song, which was equally cool.

I know it's a fantasy story, but I didn't care for the scene with the "Stone Giants".  It was completely unrealistic that the dwarves could ride the knees of these things and still remain attached with the amount of movement they were doing.  The battle itself was fine, but they should not have been along for the ride really.

All in all, great movie.  Next year is part 2.  I actually find myself waiting for it since they did glimpse Smaug. A deep, dark "Red Dragon".   Yea, classid D&D Dragon look.  If Jackson makes him walk on his wings, I'll boycott...

No comments:

Post a Comment